Heartbreak Heals

About six months ago, a close friend of mine and I experienced our worst breakups ever at almost the exact same time. It was crazy, really. I remember texting her and telling her how my heart was utterly breaking, and she said, "Hey girl. It's ok. My boyfriend just broke up with me, too." Now, of course, I wasn't glad to hear that her heart was also breaking. Yet there was something so instantly comforting in hearing from a good friend of mine that I was not alone. We told each other that we would be ok, that we were strong and we would feel better. We told ourselves that someday, we would want someone other than them; that someday, someone better would come along for the both of us.

Now here we both are, and six months has flown by. We've seen some other people. We've dappled in the dating world. We've worked on drawing closer to Jesus. We've tucked away the gifts, keepsakes, and memories away into little boxes where we can't see them. Yet... it still hurts. It's still so hard to forgive. We still think of them. We still ask, "Why? What did we do wrong?" We still have a hard time trusting. We still, sometimes, doubt God's plan.

Well, I at least know that I do.

Here's the thing, though... even when I doubt, even when He feels distance, He is still there. He is still good. His plan still stands.

I've found, throughout these healing months, that when I am at my lowest of lows, when I feel like I am done with every guy ever and I am so sick of people treating me badly and there is no hope of me ever falling in love and getting married and having babies and having my dream that can only be explained in a run-on sentence such as this...
God says, "Hey, look at this. This is Me. I'm still here. I'm still good. I love you."

I know the hurt is so awful. God knows the hurt is so awful. Cry out to Him. Tell Him how angry you are, how betrayed you feel, how much you want to feel better. Jesus welcomes the brokenhearted! (Psalm 34:18) His arms are wide open, longing for you to run into them. He's your friend. He's your Father. Tell Him your problems. He's a great listener, I promise.

Also, reminder: when we know Jesus, we still have to hurt. When sin was unleashed and welcomed into the world by humans, so was hurt and pain. Hurting is just a part of this world, but that's why we call Jesus our hope. He is our light in the darkness, our peace in the storm. So, let Him heal your heart. Let the God of the universe, the God that created you, heal you. He loves you so much, no matter how messed up and broken you are. Hold on to His hope. He's creating your testimony.

"God takes your mess, makes it your message, and He takes your message, and makes it your ministry." - Pastor Jonathan Pokluda (JP)



Comments

Popular Posts